July 3, 2008

Check this out #3

Dan Kimball includes a couple of letters in a recent blog post that I found interesting. Not sure if these can be substantiated as fact, but take a look... it sounds about right...


"I am no music scholar, but I feel I know appropriate church music when I hear it. Last Sunday's new hymn - if you can call it that - sounded like a sentimental love ballad one would expect to hear crooned in a saloon. If you insist on exposing us to rubbish like this - in God's house! - don't be surprised if many of the faithful look for a new place to worship. The hymns we grew up with are all we need."
Of course, this letter was written in 1863, and the song they were talking about was "Just as I Am". Here's another one...
“What is wrong with the inspiring hymns with which we grew up? When I go to church, it is to worship God, not to be distracted with learning a new hymn.  Last Sunday’s was particularly unnerving.  The tune was un-singable and the new harmonies were quite distorting.”
This letter was written in 1890 and about the hymn “What A Friend We Have In Jesus”.


ht to Todd Rhoades

1 comment:

katdish said...

Bad worship music is anything we personally don't care for. I've been on worship team for years, and it never ceases to amaze me how riled up people get about music. I've sung plenty of songs that aren't my favs, but it's not about me. Worship God despite your dislike of the music. Think about all the garbage He puts up with from us!

(BTW - I wasn't ranting at you, just ranting non-specifically!)